This is a frequently asked question and here is a short answer.....
An application adapter is software that you develop that uses the OpenSpirit SDK. The OpenSpirit SDK exposes a number of services including:
- Data Service- discover data sources, connect to a data source and then read or write data via the data source's native data model or via the OpenSpirit common model.
- Coordinate Service - find predefined EPSG coordinate systems or construct your own custom system. You may also do coordinate transformations between enginnering, projection, and geograghic systems
- Unit Service - find unit catalogs, units, and unit systems and do unit conversions
- Event Service- send or receive OpenSpirit events (e.g. data selection, cursor tracing, etc..) in order to enable applications to interact
- Metamodel - discover the entities, relationships, and attributes in the native or OpenSpirit common data models
- User Preference- store and retrieve user preferences (e.g. session definitions)
- Security - manage credentials that may be required to access data stores (e.g. db account/passwords)
A data connector is software that OpenSpirit develops to provide access to data in a specific datastore via the OpenSpirit data service. A data connector must translate how the data store represents units and coordinate system and normally does a model mapping into the OpenSpirit common model. We do not currently offer a SDK to build custom data connectors. We currently offer data connectors for various versions of:
- Managed SEGY