We have started to receive a 'User not Authenticated' error while trying to access our webplayer url.
We have started to receive a 'User not Authenticated' error while trying to access our webplayer url. There was nothing changed recently on our servers and the URL was working fine until yesterday. Below is the error that I see in the webplayer logs:
INFO 2015-04-10 05:11:53,232 [62, (null)] Spotfire.Dxp.Services.Authenticator - Failed to authenticate user 'ImpersonationIdentity: [SpotfireIdentity: 105029487, IsAuthenticated False, AllowPreAuthenticate False], Impersonator: [SerializableIdentity: [SpotfireIdentity: GE_Impersonate, IsAuthenticated False, AllowPreAuthenticate True], Username GE_Impersonate, Password hash -1437241444, App type MultiUser], Impersonatee [SpotfireIdentity: 105029487, IsAuthenticated False, AllowPreAuthenticate True]'.System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Impersonation failed. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object parameters) at Spotfire.Dxp.WebServices.LoginService.impersonate(String asNewUser) at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.Login.LoginService.Impersonate(String username) at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.Authenticator.Authenticate(SpotfireIdentity identity, PrincipalProvider provider)
We have siteminder enabled on IIS with Spotfire Webplayer. We checked siteminder logs and the siteminder team informed that they dont see any errors within that.
Now, when I go to IIS and try to browse 443 the webplayer app I see the below error:
User cannot be authenticated.
at SpotfirePS.SpotfireWeb.CustomWebAuthentication.CustomWebAuthenticator.AuthenticateTokenCore(AuthenticationContext context)
at Spotfire.Dxp.Web.CustomWebAuthenticatorAdapter.SessionStart(HttpContext context)
at Spotfire.Dxp.Web.Forms.Global.Session_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e)
I see a post on here where someone faced the same issue but there was no reply/resolution to it. We are currently facing this issue in Production and not sure where to start looking for the issue.