Configure KNIME to use TIBCO Enterprise Runtime for R
KNIME is an open-source data mining tool. You can configure it to work with the TIBCO® Enterprise Runtime for R (TERR™) engine.
KNIME is available under separate open-source software license terms. TIBCO does not warrant, deliver, or support code or other material provided by KNIME, including but not limited to development tools and packages, and such code or other material does not constitute a part of the TERR™ engine. We tested the following procedures using KNIME version 3.7.0 and the Rserve package, version 1.7-3 (Windows 64-bit only) configured to use TERR.
TERR version 5.0 was changed to be compatible with open-source R version 3.5.0 and later by supporting ALTREP objects. This change results in the following warning when you use the Rserver package with KNIME: R Version 3.5.0 and Rserve <= 1.8-6 currently have issues preventing their full use in KNIME. A future release of R and/or Rserve may fix these issues. These instructions include the following:
- Installing the required software.
- Configuring a working version of KNIME 3.7.0 on Windows (64-bit), on which the KNIME Interactive R Statistics Integration nodes, available from the KNIME labs under KNIME & Extensions, have already been installed.
- Troubleshooting your installation, if necessary.
Installing the Required software
Perform this task on a 64-bit Windows computer where KNIME is installed and that meets the requirements for running TERR.
- Install TERR (Windows 64-bit only)
- Install KNIME Interactive R Statistics Integration nodes.
- Install Rserve packages from CRAN into TERR using the following command.
As of KNIME version 3.1.0, KNIME requires the Rserve package. It does not require rJava, as previous versions did.
TERR is compatible with open-source R version 3.5.0 and later by supporting ALTREP objects. This design results in the following warning when you use the Rserver package with KNIME: R Version 3.5.0 and Rserve <= 1.8-6 currently have issues preventing their full use in KNIME. A future release of R and/or Rserve may fix these issues.
Configuring KNIME with TIBCO Enterprise Runtime for R
Perform this task on a 64-bit Windows computer where KNIME and TERR are installed.
You must have installed TERR and the Rserve packages on a 64-bit Windows computer.
- Start KNIME.
- On the menu, set Preferences > KNIME > R > Path to R Home to TERR_HOME. (Use the path to your installation of TERR.)
- Check that you can run the KNIME Interactive R Statistics Integration nodes with TERR.
- Create a new KNIME worksheet.
- Create a File Reader node reading KNIME_HOME/IrisDataset/data.all.
- Create an R Snippet node. (reading the output of the file node with the script knime.out <- knime.in)
- Run the whole network.
Both nodes should run, and the R Snippet node should have Std output showing the TERR banner.
Troubleshooting your installation
If your installation and configuration of TERR with KNIME does not work, try testing it with open-source R.
Open-source R is available under separate open source software license terms and is not part of TERR. As such, open-source R is not within the scope of your license for TERR. Open-source R is not supported, maintained, or warranted in any way by TIBCO Software Inc. Download and use of open-source R is solely at your own discretion and subject to the free open source license terms applicable to open-source R.
- Start the R console.
- Download and install the package Rserve from the CRAN repository.
- Set the library path as described in steps 1 and 2 in the configuration section above. (tip: make sure your library path is set correctly.)
- Set the R path in the KNIME preferences to R_HOME as described in step 4 of the configration section above.
- Test the configuration as described in step 5 of the configuration section above.