This article describes how to customize the samples files displayed on the start page in Spotfire Analyst. By default, TIBCO Spotfire provides users with a number of sample files to introduce them to the application and to provide some example files for inspiration and/or guidance. The image below displays the sample files included in TIBCO Spotfire Analyst 7.6.
These sample files can be replaced with other sample files that may be more relevant to a specific market or user context. To replace the files requires access to the TIBCO Spotfire SDK and the TIBCO Spotfire Developer product.
These are the steps involved in customizing the sample files:
- Decide what new sample dxp files to use.
- Download the TIBCO Spotfire SDK and run Package Builder.
- Create a new configuration in Package Builder and add a TIBCO Spotfire distribution.
- Add a new project using the example folder “SpotfireDeveloper.CustomSampleFilesExample” in the Examples\Extensions folder in the SDK.
You might want to copy this folder to a new location.
- Add your new dxp files to the folder (and remove the ExampleN.dxp files).
- Edit the SampleFileConfiguration.xml file and decide where the sample files should be displayed.
The path to the sample file is relative to the folder containing the module.xml file.
- Validate and test the configuration using Package Builder.
The image below shows a screenshot from Package Builder with the SpotfireDeveloper. CustomSampleFilesExample added as a new project.
Build a package and deploy it to the TIBCO Spotfire Server for further distribution to the users (requires Administrator rights to the TIBCO Spotfire Server).
If you take the CustomSampleFilesExample and run it without any modifications the following is displayed on the start page:
Note that it is possible to have a maximum of six different sample files and they will be displayed in a 3x2 table like the image above.
The preview image for the dxp file can be set manually when the dxp is opened in TIBCO Spotfire Analyst using the Document Properties dialog and then selecting the Library tab. The preview image is by default automatically a preview of the active page when the dxp file is saved.
The possibility to customize the sample files was introduced in TIBCO Spotfire Analyst version 7.0.
For more information about TIBCO Spotfire Developer and how to use the SDK and the Package Builder tool, please visit the TIBCO Spotfire Developer documentation.