This session of Dr. Spotfire featured Divya Jyoti Rajdev, Data Scientist at TIBCO Software Inc. Discover what Dr. Spotfire's online office hours has to offer by registering for a live session. And that's not all! If you are ready to showcase interesting visuals and gain deeper insights into your data, join the conversation on Twitter using the #DrSpotfire hashtag and then post your question to the TIBCO Community "Answers" section with the hashtag #DrSpotfire. Registration information can be found at our Doctor Spotfire's Office Hours page
Quick Jump Times
02:00 Overview Spotfire 7.12
03:11 PDF Export Enhancements
04:02 Cross Table Enhancements
05:30 Map Chart Marker Directions
11:00 Export to Image and PowerPoint improvements
17:40 Data Wrangling
28:28 Q1. Formatting a straight line expression
32:36 Q2. How to place Value labels on a Bullet Graph?
39:35 Q3. How to import XLS file with merged cells?
43:50 Q4. How to create new Columns with Normalized data?
48:49 Q5. What is the difference between data functions and expression functions?
Q1. How to format the display of a straight line expression?
- The user would like the formula for the line displayed on the visualization to be accurate up to 10 decimal places instead of only showing 4. This can be done by first changing how the label is displayed by navigating to label and tooltip from Properties.
- Then by checking the curve name under the Label Column. Next from the lines and curves tab edit the line to have a custom curve name instead of automatic. By doing so you can now change the curve name to whatever your desired value is.
Q2. How to place Value labels on a Bullet Graph?
- There is no direct solution but there is an alternative workaround. From properties go to Color Ranges and insert relative color ranges based on your data. You can then add other values of interest of custom expression that will then display the values in the tooltip when you hover over. From Properties then Axes -> settings you can edit what shows in the tooltip.
Q3. How to import XLS file with merged cells?
- The user wants to replace the empty values that were the result of a merge in excel. After importing the XLS file navigate to the data panel. From there select the column of interest and under the replace empty value with option select ‘Value immediately before’. Then repeat for any other columns.
Q4. How to create new columns normalized data?
- Insert transformation and choose Normalization. Choose the columns you would like to apply the normalization to. Select a normalization method of your choice. Click okay and the normalized columns are created. For more information on normalization visit community.tibco.com.
Q5. What is the difference between data functions and expression functions?
- First transformations are covered. For expression functions navigate to edit-> Data Function Properties -> Select the Expression Functions tab. To create a new expression function select new. The advantage is that the expression function is not tied to specific inputs or outputs so it can be reused without any manual work.
- You can create a data function from register data functions. When you run it, you will have to map the inputs and outputs and every time it runs it will run with that specific mapping. Data functions are used for more complex calculations.