This session of Dr. Spotfire featured Divya Jyoti Rajdev, Data Scientist at TIBCO Software Inc. Discover what Dr. Spotfire's online office hours has to offer by registering for a live session. And that's not all! If you are ready to showcase interesting visuals and gain deeper insights into your data, join the conversation on Twitter using the #DrSpotfire hashtag and then post your question to the TIBCO Community "Answers" section with the hashtag #DrSpotfire. Registration information can be found at our Doctor Spotfire's Office Hours page.
Quick Jump Times
00:35 Featured Speaker – Neil Kanungo Topic: GIS and Custom shapefiles
01:00 GIS Background Information
04:00 Creating custom shapefile demo
11:00 Bringing it into Spotfire
26:20 Spotfire Advantage in GIS
31:06 Live Chat Question
32:29 Live Chat Question
32:53 Q1: how to create a candlestick chart in Spotfire?
39:36 Q2: How to use Iron Python to create a new page and set the height and width of each visualization on the new page?
45:49 Q3: Are there TERR equivalents of the dplyr and tidyr CRAN packages?
Live Chat Question: How to relate two data columns?
- You can navigate to edit data table properties and manage relations. Then you need to click apply after creating the relation. From there you can use x and y values from data table b within a visualization based on table a given their relation.
Live Chat Question: What is the difference between column matching and a relation.
- Simply put column matching allows you to use the column from a different table in filters while relations allow you to use them in visualizations. For more information on this see the next Dr. Spotfire session.
Q1: how to create a candlestick chart in Spotfire?
- First, for features not out-of-the-box in Spotfire please submit ideas to the Spotfire Idea Portal at idea.tibco.com
- A work around is provided by creating a stacked bar chart. Import the data as a tall type for the open and close. Or after importing the data unpivot it to tall. Then by placing the ID or whichever categorical variable you have on the x axis and the measure on the y axis you can color by the open and close and set the open to be transparent. This results in a visualization very similar to a candlestick, another option can be to create a custom visualization in d3.js
Q2: How to use Iron Python to create a new page and set the height and width of each visualization on the new page?
- An iron python script is shown that achieves this solution. It involves importing the Size namespace and setting the visualization to fit to window. For more information on the Spotfire API namespace please visit: https://docs.tibco.com/pub/doc_remote/spotfire/7.12.0/doc/api/Index.aspx
Q3: Are there TERR equivalents of the dplyr and tidyr CRAN packages?
- In Spotfire 4.5 and up these packages can be directly used in TERR. In previous versions of Spotfire you can import the packages from TRAN instead of CRAN. https://tran.tibco.com/terr43