IoT Drilling Accelerator
The IoT Drilling Accelerator is a platform to consume drill head data from Oil Rigs, perform Analytics on the data and present to Drilling Engineers. The Analytics are performed in Real Time and the results sent to Spotfire and Live Datamart dashboards. This gives an up to date view of Rig state and the ability to detect anomalies as they occur.
In the Oil and Gas industry Drilling Operations refers to the process of drilling into the earth’s surface in order to extract oil. As one can imagine, this is a complex process and one that generates a lot of information. The drill head is instrumented to send information on such things as ROP, Depth, Temperature back to the surface. This information is typically captured in an historian. As the information is captured there are valuable insights to be had on the data in real time. This Accelerator enables the real time streaming of drilling Data, and concurrent analysis. The Accelerator gives Operators the control over the data coming off the rig.
Benefits and Business Value
The IoT Drilling Accelerator gives the flexibility on what is measured from the Rig data, and also how this information is presented to the Drilling Engineers. TIBCO Spotfire provides the ability to host the real time data, alongside the historical data. This combination of realtime and historical data greatly assists the analysis in the event of a real time anomaly.
The TIBCO Drilling Operations and Monitoring Accelerator and Demo as described, provide a Drilling application. The Stages in this application are out lined in the figure below:
In Summary the processing steps are:
- Ingest Rig Data from WITSML (WITS0 also available) Data Aggregators (PASON,NOV etc)
- Process this data through Indicators, modules to calculate Rig State/ROP/RPM
- Calculated fields are passed into TIBCO Live Datamart tables
- Tables visualized in TIBCO Spotfire and LVWeb (both custom and LVWeb layouts)
- The Drilling Operations and Monitoring Accelerator provides users with the ability to
- Connect to WITSML/WITS0 data stores
- Normalize the data from WITSML Time Logs/Depth Logs/Trajectories list format to StreamBase tuples
- Enrich the data stream with custom indicators (eg Average RPM, Torque and Drag)
- Embed real time visualisations in TIBCO Spotfire
TIBCO software products and versions used:
- TIBCO StreamBase 10.4
- TIBCO Spotfire X