TIBCO Spotfire Support Newsletter-Summer 2020
TIBCO Spotfire Support Newsletter
News on the latest releases, hotfixes, knowledge base articles, and technical tips for TIBCO Spotfire administrators and users.
Upgrade to the Latest Product Releases
TIBCO Spotfire software 10.10 LTS was released on June 16, 2020 as a long-term support release (See Overview of TIBCO Spotfire Releases for more details on the difference between long-term support and mainstream release types). Check the What's New in TIBCO Spotfire software 10.10 page for a complete list of new features and changes in functionality. A few highlights:
- Python data functions can now be used in the Spotfire Web Player and Automation Services.
- R packages can be distributed to Spotfire clients as .SPK files.
- Ability to set the background and text color of headers and values in tables and cross table visualizations.
- It is now possible to add comments to custom expressions.
- A new connector, SharePoint Online Lists connector, is added. New features and improvements added to the data connectivity side to SAP BW, Teradata Vantage, Cloudera Data Platform, and IBM Netezza.
- You can now use the C# API to add new top level menus for your custom application and document tools.
- PostgreSQL database supported as the Spotfire database on multiple cloud service providers.
- Spotfire Server, Node Manager, and Statistics Services now use Java 11 instead of Java 8.
- SQL Server 2019 and 2017 for Linux supported as Spotfire Server database.
Additionally TIBCO Spotfire software 10.9 was released in April as a mainstream release. Check the What's New in TIBCO Spotfire software 10.9 page for more details. A few highlights:
- Spotfire now supports PostgreSQL (versions 11 and 12) and Microsoft SQL Server 2019 as Spotfire Server database.
- Spotfire now has shared dual scales, which means that it is possible to have multiple y-axis columns and have them use any of the two scales.
- Capability to configure a visualization to use scale labels from another data table.
- A default value is now set automatically when adding a non-string type document, table, or column property.
- The map chart zoom visibility property is now available to web authors.
- New improvements to the Google Big Query, Oracle, and Teradata connectors.
- New APIs to configure shared dual scales, Python data functions, and improvements to the signing of custom extensions.
You can download Spotfire software 10.10 from TIBCO eDelivery.
Review Important Security Announcements
Recent Security Advisories:
- TIBCO Security Advisory: March 11, 2020, TIBCO Spotfire Server
TIBCO Spotfire Server Script Trust Problem Exposes Remote Code Execution Vulnerability.
All TIBCO security advisories can be accessed from the Security Advisories for TIBCO Products web page.
Keep Current on Hotfixes and Service Packs
It is recommended that you always keep your Spotfire environment up-to-date with the latest hotfixes.
Hotfixes can be downloaded from the TIBCO Support Portal and are documented here: Overview of hotfixes for TIBCO Spotfire software. Once you have logged in to the Support Portal, the hotfixes can be found under the Downloads menu > Hotfixes. On the Hotfixes page, Spotfire hotfixes can be found under "AvailableDownloads" > Spotfire.
The following hotfixes/service packs were released recently:
TIBCO Spotfire Clients (Analyst, Web Player (Consumer/Business Author) and Automation Services)
- TS_10.3.3.30 LTS HF-017: Hotfix for TIBCO Spotfire 10.3.x (Released: June 02, 2020)
- TS_184.108.40.206 LTS HF-027: Hotfix for TIBCO Spotfire 7.11.x (Released: June 08, 2020)
- TS_10.9.0.110 HF-002: Hotfix for TIBCO Spotfire 10.9.x (Released: June 02, 2020)
- TS_10.8.0.74 HF-003: Hotfix for TIBCO Spotfire 10.8.x (Released: April 06, 2020)
TIBCO Spotfire Statistics Services
- TSSS_10.3.0 HF-002: Hotfix for TIBCO Spotfire Statistics Services 10.3.0 (Released: March 3, 2020)
The latest TIBCO Spotfire Server service packs can be downloaded from the TIBCO eDelivery site:
TIBCO Spotfire Server
- TIBCO Spotfire Server 10.10
- TIBCO Spotfire Server 10.3.9
- TIBCO Spotfire Server 10.9
Read Top Support Knowledge Base Articles
- Error message: 'Database does not exist' gets logged to the 'logs.txt' file while executing the 'postgres_install' script for the creation of the TIBCO Spotfire database
- Error while executing the 'postgres_install' script for the creation of the TIBCO Spotfire database
- Overview of session timeouts in TIBCO Spotfire
- JDBC Database URL when using failover servers with Oracle / Oracle RAC
- Troubleshooting Guide: Performance issues with Information Links
Spotfire Web Player:
- How to avoid display of login prompt in Spotfire Web Player for any analysis using data connectors
- Spotfire Web Player displays error: "There is no URL specified for TIBCO Spotfire Statistics Services"
- TIBCO Spotfire Web Player Paging Behavior
Spotfire Automation Services:
- How to Create a Dynamic Filter in a Text Area in TIBCO Spotfire
- Various Caching options in TIBCO Spotfire
Get Tech Tips
How to add the most used features to the TIBCO Spotfire toolbar
As of TIBCO Spotfire version 10.8, the TIBCO Spotfire installed client toolbar is now customizable so that a user can choose features for fast access. To add a shortcut to the toolbar (for example "Add calculated column" and "Reset all filters" features) follow the below steps:
- Right click on the toolbar and choose "Customize toolbar..."
- Search for the desired action ("Add calculated column" and "Reset all filters" in this case), and either click on it or drag it to the toolbar.
Please refer to this Knowledge Article for more information.
Checkout More Spotfire Support Content
We recommend that new Spotfire customers use the Spotfire Customer Orientation Guide. This page is a guide for system admins, data architects, analysts, power users, and others, to get Spotfire software quickly set up. The page also includes a robust Enablement Hub.
We also host Dr. Spotfire sessions, create Quick Tip YouTube videos, and post other great content on the Spotfire Customer Success LinkedIn group to help users with unique analytics challenges. Please subscribe and follow us on YouTube and LinkedIn to stay updated.
Review End of Support Timelines
Review the end of support dates below and plan upgrades to supported versions, where you can benefit from security updates, defect fixes, and features available in the latest releases.
- On April 30, 2021, TIBCO is officially ending support for version 10.8 and prior versions of the TIBCO Spotfire product family. Refer to the following link for more details.
Note: The current LTS versions, 7.11 and 10.3, are not affected by this announcement.
Refer to the article 000027258 for the end of support dates and end of extended support dates for all TIBCO Product versions.
Explore Customer Success Stories
- JetBlue Soars with Connected Intelligence
- First Citizens Bank Unites Systems, Services, and Customer Satisfaction
Do you have any examples you’d like to share about your use of Spotfire software? Please submit your stories on the TIBCO Community Wiki.
Review Customer Survey Feedback
TIBCO Support routinely conducts surveys to evaluate customer satisfaction. You are invited via email to complete an online survey on cases you have logged. You can also submit a survey at any point during the case lifecycle. Thanks to everyone who submitted feedback. We use it to improve our service.
Get Notified on Product Updates
Learn how to subscribe to notifications, release announcements, hotfixes, knowledge articles, retirement notices, and more.