TIBCO - Travel, Transportation and Logistics Solutions
Introduction and Overview
We travel for leisure and business. And we have high expectations in terms of personalization and real-time updates about all aspects of our trips. If you work in a travel or transportation company, understanding and optimizing the customer journey will likely be a priority. There are opportunities to improve customer loyalty and increase spending prior, during and after the trip.
We travel in an increasingly digital environment sharing data and producing data along with the equipment we travel in and environments we travel through. This creates many opportunities to improve customer satisfaction and the bottom-line. Customers are looking for simplicity and convenience and happy to manage their journeys without too much human interaction. TIBCO Software tools allow you to implement a wide variety of solutions to transform customer and operational processes in Travel and Transportation. This Wiki page will provide you with specific examples.
Our software products are used by many companies in Travel related industries: Airlines, Train Companies, Travel Agencies, Entertainment Companies, Hotel Chains and Booking Sites, to name a few.
Besides transportation of people we will also cover some cargo and parcel transportation and logistics examples.
Some of the key TIBCO Software capabilities and use cases relevant for Travel include:
- Create, integrate and manage your APIs with a single solution
- Ad-hoc data discovery with interactive visualizations and point-click statistics
- Integrate machine learning into dashboards
- Big Data analysis via Spark, Hadoop and other connectors
- Geo-analytics capabilities to assist with map and schematic analysis
- Natural Language Generation to customize and automate high quality insights
- TIBCO Insight Platform combining TIBCO Spotfire and TIBCO Streambase to turn insights into action
Be part of the TIBCO Product Roadmap by leaving your product suggestions on the Ideas Portal
Travel and Transportation use-cases
Click here to download a white-paper titled: Airline Customer Loyalty and Improving Your Bottom Line with Data You Already Have
In the example of flight analytics, smart airports and smart airplanes produce data that can be analysed and used to improve operational efficiencies such as routes, speed and altitude allocation of assets or fuel efficiency. This can be done in batch and in real-time with sensor data. This opportunities apply not only to airlines but to all other transportation types such as buses, trains, and container ships. Predictive Analytics plays an important role in these use-cases as a well as Mapping and Geo-Analytics capabilities. 3D Flight visualisations through integration with Cesium JS for example are possible with TIBCO Spotfire.
Travel hubs such as Airports and Train stations have significant challenges in managing peak-times and disruptions. Flow of people needs to be managed, bags need to be transported to the right planes, shops and restaurants need to be open for business when needed, crew needs to be allocated to where they are most needed, security procedures need to be in place. Any of these and many more operational and customer processes can be monitored, analysed and optimized. As more data is shared and combined between various companies delivering services, ability to anticipate and take advantage of opportunities to improve services or increase retail sales increases. Advanced analytics techniques can also help anticipate and reduce disruptions such as reducing the number of lost baggage or avoiding delays as a result of insufficient equipment or personnel.
Connected Vehicles, IoT
The Connected Vehicles Accelerator is a TIBCO engineered, open-source fast-start for systems that algorithmically manage connected vehicles. It contains components to allow tracking of vehicles based on the GTFS format for transit vehicles. It includes components for visualization of real-time moving vehicles, rules to detect delays and classify occupancy, ability to monitor terminal and platform contention delays, it can provide alerting and notifications, provide scheduling and staff allocation and integration components to link all of them together. These use-cases are not only applicable to airplanes, buses and trains but for any asset that needs to be tracked and traced for example packages in the parcel industry.
Health & Safety
For Health & Safety management, understanding of root-causes of employee injuries and being able to address them can reduce the number of injuries and save significant costs. Visualisation of the data enables understanding of the risk and can be used to educate the teams and help with targets to achieve.
Manufacturing and Maintenance
Airplanes, Helicopters and Trains are complex to build and will need to meet rigorous quality standards. Monitoring and optimizing the manufacturing process and quality control has many aspects and if understood and optimized can result in reduced production time, reduced inventories, higher customer satisfaction and lower costs. Visual overviews of production status or defects will help engineers understand where to focus their work.
Predictive Maintenance is applied to avoid unnecessary maintenance and to initiate necessary maintenance when it is actually needed based on current information of leading indicators for breakdown.
Customer Analytics for the travel industry is about understanding the customer journey. And increasing Net Promoter Score (NPS) which is a measure of overall loyalty of your customers to your company. By combining different datasets and using historic and real-time information, you can find opportunities to delight the customer with service and relevant offers. As well as updates on disruptions and personalised communication which, if done well, will increase customer loyalty and spending. In this area of customer analytics we also use machine learning and techniques such as sentiment analysis, clustering, affinity analysis and propensity analysis.
Read the whitepaper Turning Customer Insight into Action.
Sales and Marketing
Price comparison sites are prevalent in the Travel industry. Real-time pricing solutions give companies a competitive edge by providing optimum quotes considering customer profile as well as competition and regulatory requirements. With the increasing % of on-line bookings, A/B testing for many aspects of marketing will be possible and when executed well, can be a fast and inexpensive way of doing market research. For example to see which campaign is most effective in which regions or for which season, brand or customer profile.
- AccorHotels: improved customer experience, and faster, easier, simpler integration - go to this 2017 Trailblazer Award & Customer story for more details.
- TUI Travel: smart, competitive, just-right pricing - go to this customer story for more details, there is also a presentation from TIBCO NOW 2016 available here.
- IHG: 27% revenue increase year over year through partner API program - go to this customer story for more details.
- Royal Carribean: APIs for web and mobile channels connecting to guest services for a seamless experience - go to this customer story for more details.
- Nederlandse Spoorwegen or Dutch Railways: showing customers where empty seats are - go to this customer story for more details, there is also a presentation from TIBCO NOW 2016 available here.
- CargoSmart: ocean carriers reducing fuel consumption by up to 3.5% over the past two years - go to this customer story for more details.
- Norfolk Southern: asset optimization: increased utilization of its railcar fleet and reduced rental payments for hired cars - go to this customer story for more details, there is also a presentation from TIBCO NOW 2016 available here.
- Air France-KLM: Integrates main systems into one and lowers application development sosts - go to this customer story for more details, there is also a TIBCO NOW 2016 presentation about providing public and private APIs to provide new digital services.
- Lufthansa Cargo: proactively supply customer information about freight transport status - go to this customer story for more details.
- United Airlines: click here for their TIBCO NOW 2016 presentation about analytics journey with use-case examples of managing United Club overcrowding or employee injuries.
- JetBlue: identify customers in real real-time, making data available and actionable across all channels, airports and contact center - go to this trailblazer award announcement for more details.
- LATAM Airlines: deliver services faster.by integrating deeply embedded legacy systems and new systems - go to this customer story for more details.
- SAS Scandinavian Airline Service: web app for 24/7 passenger check-in enabled by integration platform – go to this customer story for more details
- Genting: personalised customer journey for 6 million customers - go to this trailblazer award announcement for more details.
Questions and Feedback
We encourage your input on this content. Please always post your questions in the Answers section of the TIBCO Community. If you have feedback on this specific page (not a question) you can leave that at the bottom of the page with the '+ Add Comment' option. You will have to be logged in. Our experts are watching the pages relevant to them and you can do the same by clicking on the watch button in the left top corner. You will then be automatically notified when content gets updated for this page.
Visit the Community Wiki Home page to learn more about any of the TIBCO Software products. For example the TIBCO Spotfire Wiki page is a good starting point for an extensive, growing collection of linked Wiki pages covering all things Spotfire. Links to comprehensive, current information on these Main Topics landing pages: Getting Started, Data Access and Wrangling, Visualizations, Maps, Advanced Analytics, Applications and Vertical Solutions, Extending Spotfire, Administration, Partners and more.
Back to the TIBCO Solutions overview page