This is your guide to creating, configuring and interacting with standard, custom and embedded visualizations in TIBCO Spotfire®. For visualizing data on mobile devices see the TIBCO Spotfire® Mobile landing page.
Using Standard Charts
- Basic Visualization Quick Reference Topics: Choose the Basic Visualizations section for information on: Histograms, density plots and bubble charts
- Advanced Visualization Quick Reference Topics: Choose the Advanced Visualizations section for information on: Treemaps, pareto charts with cumulative lines and parallel coordinate plots
- Visualization Properties Quick Reference Topics: Choose the Visualization Properties section for information on: Configuring properties & color schemes, adding images & web links
- Interacting with data in Visualizations Quick Reference Topics: Choose the Interacting with Data section for information on: Sorting data in visualizations, rotating 3-D scatter plots
- Marking Data Quick Reference Topics: Choose the Marking Data section for information on: Marking, tags and lists
Dashboards and Visual Design
- Visual Design Best Practices
- Designing dashboards for consumption on all types of devices
- How to implement drill through when clicking a bar in a bar-chart in Spotfire
- Building Beautiful TIBCO Spotfire® Dashboards using Visual Themes and Color Schemes
- Webinar series on Understanding Data Visualizations - best practices in graphics visualizations
Specific Visualization topics
- Show top n vs the rest This article shows how to visualize top n categories vs the rest in a barchart.
- How to display and extract Inflection Points of line fits.
- Label the total for bars in a stacked barchart with both negative and positive segments
- Density of Datapoints over time
- Control the layout of visualizations on a page with Spotfire's LayoutDefinition API
Information for Specific Visualization types
The Spotfire line chart makes it very easy to visualize data over time. But there are some more advanced scenarios where some tips and tricks may be needed.
- Visualize data in a line chart where the line color changes based on the primary measure or another column.
- Making a Linechart with vertical lines
A Pareto chart is a type of chart that contains both bars and a line graph, where individual values are represented in descending order by bars, and the cumulative total is represented by the line.
The Map chart in Spotfire is incredibly flexible and has its own section on the Spotfire wiki: read more about using the map chart here.
- You can also create Tile Grid Map Charts in Spotfire : read more on the Tips & Tricks post.
A Gantt chart is a graphical representation of the tasks or activities along with resources required to complete a job or project. It is used to show ranges of start and end dates of activities or tasks and the relationships between them so as to pinpoint bottlenecks and assign priorities.
The Waterfall chart was introduced with Spotfire Cloud 3.6 and Spotfire 7.6. Waterfall charts are commonly used in financial analysis, but are useful for other use cases as well. It is useful when you need to show how different component factors contribute to a final result. Read this post to find out more about why you would use a waterfall chart. Then, explore the "how" to create a waterfall chart in Spotfire with the following tutorials:
- Creating a waterfall chart in TIBCO Spotfire
- Using waterfall charts for difference analysis with TIBCO Spotfirer
There is no native donut chart in Spotfire, but its possible to create one by clever configuration of a map chart.
The KPI chart provides and effective way of presenting numbers, comparative values and the status of KPIs, in mobile, web or desktop Spotfire applications. See this video or this wiki page as an introduction, and learn more in these articles:
- Market Category KPIs
- Store Department Staffing
- Summer Lake Temperature
- Drill-down inside a KPI chart
- Color KPIs by Categorical Variable
The KPI chart was introduced in Spotfire 7.6 and further improved in Spotfire 7.7.
Custom Charts - Extending and Embedding Visualizations
Tips and Tricks with Spotfire
- Visit the Tips and Trick landing page for more tips on creating great-looking visualizations
Recommended Courses from TIBCO Education
- SP521 Spotfire for Analysts: Learn the fundamentals of creating analyses using Spotfire Analyst.
- SP199 Spotfire Analyst Bootcamp: Understand the built-in features of Spotfire Analyst.
- SP711 Individual Subscription to Spotfire Self-Paced Training: Access online materials from Spotfire Analyst, Data Scientist, and Developer courses for one year.
- Visit the Spotfire Training website for delivery methods and additional courses.