Tibco BW6.8 Soap reference binding failed to initialize: java.lang.NullPointerException

Wytze Dijkstra

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an external soap service. For this service Soap version 1.2 is required. However, when I am trying to add the provided wsdl as a reference binding in a (sub)process and try to look into the operations I am getting this java.lang.NullPointerException (also see the attached snapshot).

javaexception.png.8a113d1aecd4db27e7578f915a0e524e.png 

The same can be seen in the logs when I run my BW process:

2022-12-19T12:36:17,754 ERROR [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.bw.thor.runtime.model.Constituent - The following error has occurred for "name: InformationRequestProcessor.module version: 1.0.0.qualifier bundle name: InformationRequestProcessor.module " which needs to be resolved.

2022-12-19T12:36:17,754 ERROR [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.bw.thor.runtime.model.Constituent - TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600071: Reference bindings failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600072: Reference binding [com.tibco.bw.frwk.ReferenceBindingModel@557ce75b] failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-BINDING-SOAP-550030: Failed to initialize SoapReferenceBinding [sOAPReferenceBinding], Application [informationRequestProcessor:1.0] due to exception [java.lang.NullPointerException]: java.lang.NullPointerException

2022-12-19T12:36:17,754 DEBUG [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.bw.frwk.BWApplicationModuleImpl - TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600026: Failed to start BW Module [informationRequestProcessor.module:1.0.0.qualifier], <CausedBy> TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600071: Reference bindings failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600072: Reference binding [com.tibco.bw.frwk.ReferenceBindingModel@557ce75b] failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-BINDING-SOAP-550030: Failed to initialize SoapReferenceBinding [sOAPReferenceBinding], Application [informationRequestProcessor:1.0] due to exception [java.lang.NullPointerException]: java.lang.NullPointerException

2022-12-19T12:36:17,754 DEBUG [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.thor.frwk.Deployer - Posting Deployer Application State Change Event :StartFailed InformationRequestProcessor 1.0  445898191091200

2022-12-19T12:36:17,755 INFO [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.bw.thor.runtime.tools.internal.RuntimeEventHandler - TIBCO-THOR-FRWK-300200: ApplicationStateChangedEvent: [informationRequestProcessor:1.0] StartFailed {TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600071: Reference bindings failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600072: Reference binding [com.tibco.bw.frwk.ReferenceBindingModel@557ce75b] failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-BINDING-SOAP-550030: Failed to initialize SoapReferenceBinding [sOAPReferenceBinding], Application [informationRequestProcessor:1.0] due to exception [java.lang.NullPointerException]: java.lang.NullPointerException }

2022-12-19T12:36:17,755 DEBUG [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.bw.thor.management.common.listners.ApplicationStateListner - Posting ApplicationStateListner Application State Change Event :StartFailed {TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600071: Reference bindings failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-FRWK-600072: Reference binding [com.tibco.bw.frwk.ReferenceBindingModel@557ce75b] failed to initialize: TIBCO-BW-BINDING-SOAP-550030: Failed to initialize SoapReferenceBinding [sOAPReferenceBinding], Application [informationRequestProcessor:1.0] due to exception [java.lang.NullPointerException]: java.lang.NullPointerException }

2022-12-19T12:36:17,755 DEBUG [EventAdminThread #19] com.tibco.bw.thor.management.common.listners.ApplicationStateListner - Posting ApplicationStateListner Application State Change Event :StartFailed InformationRequestProcessor 1.0

For this scenario the soap service is not even invoked. Funny enough, when I change the soap version of the wsdl to 1.1 (by adding Soap as a protocol in the binding of the wsdl) I am able to hit and see the operations. Besides that the service will be invoked, but it gives the following error:

Cannot create message: incorrect content-type for SOAP version. Got: text/xml; charset=UTF-8 Expected: application/soap+xml

Meaning that I need Soap version 1.2 indeed.

Does anyone have an idea how I can resolve this issue? For now Tibco support couldn't be of any help, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Dheeraj -​ Hi, through the following response of Tibco support we have fixed the issue:

The WSDL is missing one line in binding part.

Need to add the line e.g. "<soap12:operation soapAction="ListBerichten" soapActionRequired="true" style="document"/>" for each operation.

Before:

+++++++++++++++

<binding name="EvoriBankBinding" type="tns:EvoriBank">

<soap12:binding style="document" transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http"/>

<!-- document/literal/wrapped -->

<operation name="ListBerichten">

<input>

<soap12:header message="tns:Header" part="RequestHeader" use="literal"/>

<soap12:body use="literal"/>

</input>

<output>

<soap12:header message="tns:Header" part="ResponseHeader" use="literal"/>

</output>

</operation>

++++++++++++

After:

+++++++++++++++++

<binding name="EvoriBankBinding" type="tns:EvoriBank">

<soap12:binding style="document" transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http"/>

<!-- document/literal/wrapped -->

<operation name="ListBerichten">

<soap12:operation soapAction="ListBerichten" soapActionRequired="true" style="document"/>

<input>

<soap12:header message="tns:Header" part="RequestHeader" use="literal"/>

</input>

<output>

<soap12:header message="tns:Header" part="ResponseHeader" use="literal"/>

</output>

</operation>

+++++++++++++++

After this change also, need to recreate the reference binding and should no longer see nullpointer exception.

-----------------

Please let me know if you also need the attached wsdl

Hi @Wytze Dijkstra​ : Thank you for such a quick response. I understood your issue was more related to SOAP12. I did more troubleshoot and found that our issue was related to ems-driver. Recently I upgrade BW Studio to latest version and this error started coming after that. Thus I had to reinstall ems-driver and this error was resolved. However the error message which you received is same as I received :)

Regards,

Dheeraj