Auotomatically export data in spotfire, and send this data(such as excel) with e-mail on fixed time with regular basis auotomatically

Min-Hyeok Kang

We use spotfire as one of way of gathering all data from various applications. Data from various applications are gathered as a form of excel file in spotfire, and these are updated in real time. What i want to utilize with this kind of excel fie is to extract this excel file, and send this excel file with regular basis automatically. I am not accustomed to spotfire, as one of means of programing language, but a little bit competent in programing logic, so if you guys let me know how I can build this kind logic that I want to embody, it would be of great help.

Hello!

For any kind of automation task like this, the first thing to check is if you can do it using Spotfire Automation Services. It comes with tasks for exporting data (e.g. in Excel formats like xslx) and emailing out of the box, and you can implement custom tasks if needed as well. 

Take a look at the documentation for it here:

TIBCO Spotfire® Automation Services User Guide

https://docs.tibco.com/pub/spotfire_server/12.5.0/doc/html/TIB_sfire_autsvcs_UserGuide/autoservices/topics/job_builder_tasks.html

Dear Fredrik Rosell

I really appreciate your adivce and I have looked thorugh link you gave. I guess Auotomation servce is necessary function to embody what I want to implement. And to use Automation service, it seems that being able to access Administrator user account is required(To download Node manager).

I hope that I can access Administrator user account to use Auotomation service, but I am afraid that I couldn't access this account since the device I try to this is my company's labtop where there is rare possibility to get access administrator account. In case of failing to get access administrator athority, Is there any other way to embody function that I mentioned above?(Such as python or Etc)

If there is, I will really appreciate if you let me know how to do that.

Dear Min-Hyeok Kang,

>And to use Automation service, it seems that being able to access Administrator user account is required(To download Node manager).

To be clear - this is not something you would normally do as an end-user. This is set up by your Spotfire Administrators in the server backend. 

>I hope that I can access Administrator user account to use Auotomation service, but I am afraid that I couldn't access this account since the device I try to this is my company's labtop where there is rare possibility to get access administrator account. 

Well, the normal use case for this would not involve every user getting Administration right. As a user, you would be using the Automation Services Job Builder Tool (inside your Spotfire Analyst client) to create the jobs, but the scheduling of jobs could be handled by your Spotfire Administrators (but you could also be assigned the license necessary to schedule those yourself). https://docs.tibco.com/pub/spotfire_server/12.5.0/doc/html/TIB_sfire_autsvcs_UserGuide/autoservices/topics/overview.html gives a high-level overview of this.

Here's an example of a Dr. Spotfire session that shows what this looks like - both Job creation and Job Scheduling: 

How to Automate Data Updates and Export in Spotfire | COVID-19 Daily Data Refresh

I recommend that you start by reaching out to your local Spotfire Administrators to discuss.  

>In case of failing to get access administrator athority, Is there any other way to embody function that I mentioned above?(Such as python or Etc)

Well, you might be able to implement this yourself, using the existing API:s for some of it - exporting the data is covered by the API.s - but you would need to implement everything else - emailing, scheduling etc - yourself. I would definitely fully explore the Automation Services option first.

Best Regards

Fredrik