everybody, we are planning to perform migration of our DEV,...

David Becquet 2

Hello everybody,

we are planning to perform migration of our DEV, QA and PROD domain from RV transport to EMS one. I have already consulted the vendor on the best practice to do that, and they just sent me back to the documentation.

Does anybody has any experience in any RV2EMS domain migration using the RV2EMS TRA utillity Any apps downtime , etc... Assume it needs a flash-cut...

thanks in advance

David

• 3 months later...

Thanks much guys...I ran some additional in-house testing, and it appears that the RV2EMS utility seems to just do what is needed without having to create another domain and migrate the applications there. Also, this utility does not incur any applications downtime, only downtime on the Hawk/Admin transport (ie. Hawk monitoring) obviously which is addressed by running the exact same utility on all domain servers. All in all, the utility run takes about 30 seconds per server, so it is an easy and quick win for small to medium scaled domains (our domains contain no more than 30 servers....)

We will be using this (Documented) process for our QA and PROD migrations.

Let me know if you wish to get more details on the process, I can share a generic overview through MP.

Thanks.

David

• 1 month later...

Sonu/Biju, basically using this RV2EMS utility allows you to avoid downtime on your applications, provided that you use EMS as a data transport and not RV.

The only post step to be performed after the command has been run first on the Admin server and then on all other domain server is to manually reconfigure as needed the HMA RV session and daemon in the hawkagent.cfg file according to your configurations. This is to ensure that the local microagent monitoring is still working as expected.

In terms of benefits, clearly the greatest advantage is the possibility of having the TIBCO Administrators set in "Active-Active", that is with both primary and secondary admins being readable and writable simultaneously. With a RV based domain, only the primary is in Read/Write mode while the secondary is only Read, which does not really help if you secondary goes down and you need to perform deployments.

Let me know if that clarifies and if you need further info/help on this process.

Thanks.

Dave

Another benefit I forgot is that doing this migration also allows you to slowly get rid of the RV bus, which as you might know is an already more than mature transport product that soon would be fully replaced by EMS and/or FTL. I have noticed much more stability and performances improvement overall when flowing both our Admin and application data through EMS than RV.

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Hi dave62 ... did you happen to have any learnings or best practices to migrate from RV to EMS. Please share your experience and also if you came accross any standard steps to migrate RV to EMS or any utility that can be used.

Your inputs would be really helpful... cheers!